Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Governor of Alaxsxaq and Pitiful Protesters

I don't mean for my first blog entry to be political, so please don't assume this is my only goal. I'll be sure to mention something later in the post that will seem harmless and unrelated to the politics game.

That being said, I dislike Sarah Palin. I appreciate that she resembles Tina Fey, Lisa Loeb, Marsha Brady and the drummer from the Kings of Leon, but when your political experience is limited to Mayor of BumFuckNowhere, I cannot even pretend to think you're qualified to be next in line to who could be our oldest president ever by a cool 3 years. You're probably saying to yourself, "Self, shouldn't you trust a person who's served as Governor of our 49th State?" No. You shouldn't. Alaska, as a state, has fewer residents than the city of Memphis, TN and she's only been in office for a little under 2 years. You're a pretty face Palin, but your shit's weak.

Politics! Yes, Minneapolis/St. Paul are hosting the Republican National Convention. We drove by First Lady Laura Bush's motorcade on the way to a show in Decorah, Iowa and that, so far has been my only run-in with the convention. It bothers me that we had to get the RNC instead of the DNC. It would've been glorious to have Biden and Barack. Instead, we have to deal with the protesters.

ATTENTION PROTESTERS: You can be ignored because politicians know that once your protest is peacefully held, you go home. Media has learned how to dismiss you. Police know how to contain you. American politics are immune to the individual. And though you've amassed a group of five-, ten-, fifteen thousand, the majority of you are part-time activists who only plan on this one protest and then casting a ballot on Tuesday, November 4. The power of protest has diminished since the 1960's. You're still using the same tactics 40 years later. You are no longer a threat. You are merely an annoyance.

Ok... I'm done with politics for this go around.

On a lighter note, I'm starting bagpipe lessons next week! I've had a chanter (the bagpipe sans bag and drones) for a few years now and was going to teach myself, but I've never been one to do that successfully, the one exception being Irish Rhetoric.

A quote: Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. -Willy Wonka

1 comment:

thelifemosaic said...

Your comparison to The Lisa Loeb is brilliant.