Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Why? (and Five Songs)

It's funny that it took me until high school to realize why I listen to music. It's not that I hadn't listened to music, in fact, I listened to a lot of music, but I didn't have that introspective moment where I asked "why?" until a high school friend, Greg Wachman, explained to me why he listened to Icelandic metal. It's not that it was the most beautiful music in the world... it was just that it elicited some emotion. He was steadfast in his reasoning and it made a huge impact. Here are five songs that make me extremely happy.

Gui Boratto - Beautiful Life (from the Chromophobia LP)
I downloaded this song by chance. And it was about a minute into the song when the electronic snare stops, the driving synth hushes and all is calm before the storm swells again that I realized I was just made happy by the music. Whatever thoughts were running through my head at the time were wiped away and this song took the driver's seat. A truly beautiful song.

Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla (from the Takk... LP)
I associate this song with Dublin, fair city. My roommate Aram lent me this recent purchase (at the time) and this song became the soundtrack of the best experience of my life. I remember it accompanying me on rainy morning walks to the Gaiety School of Acting and a sunny day on Inis Mor. This song will forever remind me of that trip.

Superdrag - Sucked Out (from the Regretfully Yours LP)
In respect to the current average life span, I'm young. A mere quarter century in existence. But, even though I'm aware of how lucky I am to be young and healthy, I know full well that life at 13 was awesome. I mowed lawns in the summer for cash and listened to so much music, it was ridiculous. This song was on constantly. Lovely.

The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes (from the Give Up LP)
There's just something that I love about Ben Gibbard's voice and this upbeat electro-pop song about something as scary as what I assumed to be the devastation of nuclear war. The dichotomy kills me... in a good way.

The Go! Team - Get It Together (from the Thunder, Lightning, Strike LP)
Heavy melodica on this one. Distorted drums and cheerleader-type chants make this such a joy to listen to. Also, at the end of the track, a DJ breaks it down. I'm not sure why, but I also associate this with song with an improv project in which I took part and of which I have only fond memories.


'til next time.

No comments: