Monday, December 8, 2008

Employment and the Frailty of Humans

"Your job is killing you faster than a cancer could." -Her Space Holiday, Something To Do With My Hands.

The above quote is currently the only thing running through my head. Many companies unintentionally give you the opportunity to sink or swim and the unfortunate thing is that I believe my current employer is one of them. My sense of humor can only keep me afloat so long. I just don't want to get fired. I've never been fired and never want to get fired. It's a life goal, I guess.

As I sit in my cubicle, I have realized that the song Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros is on my iPod twice. I like it that way. That song gives me hope. And we're talking Barack Obama-style hope. Hope that lives on in most of us. The hope that the wonderful world could be wonderfuller. Shakespeare would be proud of that word... wonderfuller.

Back update! Every once in a while, I like to update my readers as to the condition of my back. I've been taking pills for back pain that appeared the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The following Monday I confronted the bastard pain and visited urgent care for some advice. After the x-ray told me I didn't have bone cancer or a herniated disc, I was prescribed indomethacin (C19H16ClNO4... for you chemical fans) as the doctor believed I had some sort of inflamed back muscle. Weird. Anyway, they work. Trust me. Though, I must say, I tend to get very tired about 5 hours after taking one. I nodded off during a training session at work and was looking forward to a "stern talking to," but it never came. The trainer only joked about his great ability to keep people awake.

Also, Pegatron was in an accident last week. She's doing much better, but it was very scary. However, after hearing the entire story, I grew a great respect for all the people that helped along the way. Between the first responders, state patrol and all the medical staff, Pegatron had a very pleasant experience for such an unpleasant accident. As with most traffic accidents, it was the stupidity of others that led to a brief hospitalization for Pegatron. Perhaps the saddest thing to come of this entire accident is the fact that Peggy and I will no longer have matching cars. So long, dear Echo. You will be missed... but not your lack of safety features.

'til next time.

No comments: